The following are among the links we’ve received from Kerri Spennicchia the past few weeks:
• “Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice: Six Things You Never Knew” (Anna Moeslein, Glamour.com)
• “Written in Threads”: Austen-inspired dresses at Belsay Hall (Nicole Robo)
• “Seven Jane Austen-Inspired Items You Can Wear without Looking Crazy” (Candace Bryan, Styleite.com)
• “Fear of Jane Austen” (Rebecca Mead, The New Yorker)
• “Jane, Plain No More: A Year of Austen Glamour” (Mary Jo Murphy and Jennifer Schluessler, The New York Times—includes an Austen-related quiz)
• Longbourn by Jo Baker, review by Holly Kyte, The Telegraph
• “How BBC Executives Initially Rejected Colin Firth for the Role of Mr. Darcy” (Simon Cable, The Daily Mail)
• “Sansoucie Wins Honor in Jane Austen Essay Contest” (Missourian.com):
Finally, also from Kerri, a YouTube link she purloined from the Jane Austen Centre’s summer newsletter. It’s a recap of Emma Thompson’s 1995 acceptance speech at the Golden Globe awards, for her Sense and Sensibility screenplay.
Back issues of Persuasions on sale. The region has acquired limited quantities of JASNA’s literary journal Persuasions, ranging from No.17 in 1995 to the current issue, No.34. Each contains articles that were presented at the previous year’s Annual General Meeting. So if you have gaps in your collection, you can fill them now. Review the list at “Persuasions for sale“. (The list is two pages, so scroll down.) Contact Kerri Spennicchia at email@example.com to purchase. All proceeds benefit JASNA–NY Metro.
Celebrating Pride & Prejudice
From Linda Dennery and Meg Levin we learn that JASNA–NY Metro could not let the centenary of Jane Austen’s most famous novel pass without devoting at least one event to the subject. The region’s fall meeting will focus on film and television adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. Realizing that there are so many to choose from—and so much to say—region organizers decided to make it an all-day event. So should you be in NYC on Saturday, Oct. 26, Dennery and Levin say, “Please join us from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. as ‘JASNA Goes to the Movies’
“Our guest speakers are Prof. Lisa Kasmer of Clark University; Carrie Rickey, former film critic of The Philadelphia Inquirer, and our own Linda Dennery, regional coordinator of JASNA–NY Metro. There will be many film clips, including a cornucopia of Collinses and a plethora of proposal scenes. If you’d like to watch those you’ve missed, here’s a link to a filmography: http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101650564267-206/Pride+and+Prejudice+Filmography.pdf.
“All who register will receive a box lunch (please tell us whether you prefer a turkey or vegetarian sandwich), and we will finish with an afternoon tea.”
Venue: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, 7 West 55th Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues (Avenue of the Americas).
Cost: Members, $65; Juvenilia, $50; Guests, $75.
For more information and to print a registration form, go here: http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101650564267-207/JASNA-NY+Metro+Goes+to+the+Movies.pdf. Make check payable to JASNA-NY. To use PayPal, visit http://jasnany.org/registration. (You don’t need a PayPal account to use PayPal, just a credit card.)
Registration deadline: Tuesday, Oct. 22.