The Metropolitan St. Louis Region is an exceptional venue for exploring, not only Jane Austen, but the life and times of the period in which she lived. Our programmes and external events have presented topics on travel, music, courting, plays, dress, and other interesting tidbits and topics. We work hard to bring educational and diversified programs to our Members and the public.
As always, there is the “company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation.” at each of our gatherings.
We usually meet four times a year, though sometimes we are presented with an opportunity to present an ‘Bonus’ program. The following format is typical for our quarterly gathering:
- March and September – speaker presentations, open to the public
- Literary in nature (often presented by a professor or other academic)
- A special area of interest to JASNA members
- June (members and their guests) – often a book review or discussion, or another topic delivered by one of our region members
- December (members and their guests) – a birthday celebration for Miss Austen – mostly light and entertaining in nature, also delivered by one of our region members
2020 JASNA Metropolitan St. Louis Region Programs
Saturday, June 6
2:00pm – 4:00pm
A Virtual Meeting!
Sunday, September 27
2:00pm – 4:00pm
presented by Ellen Kunkelmann
Location: To Be Announced
Saturday, December 5
12:00pm – 3:00pm
Presented by an Ensemble Cast
Reservations Required ~ JASNA Members & their Guests
Browse our past programming and see what you’ve been missing.
2019 Past Events
- March 10 Mrs. Allen’s Closet OR Costume in the Time of Jane Austen, Presented by Cathy Reilly. Location: University City Library. Public Welcomed
- Sept 22 The Gothic Context of Northanger Abbey, Presented by Anastasia Beirman and Dr. John Greenfield. Location: University City Library
- Dec 6 – Dec 8, JANE AUSTEN FESTIVAL, Presented by The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Webster University and the Jane Austen Society of North America Metropolitan St. Louis Region
2018 Past Events
- March 25. “A Travelogue Through Jane Austen’s England”. Presented by Alison Roberts. Location: University City Library. Public welcomed.
- June 2. Summer Luncheon. “Readings from Persuasion.” Reservations required. Members only and their Guests.
- September 23. “Comparing Two Films Versions of Persuasion“. Presented by John Greenfield. Location: University City Library. Public welcomed.
- September 27-30. Jane Austen Society of North America Annual General Meeting Kansas City
- December 8. The Birthday Luncheon at the Gatesworth. “Speculation and Mansfield Park“. Members only and their Guests.
2017 Past Events
- February 26. University City Library. Curtis Sittenfield discussed her book Eligible, her updating of Pride and Prejudice. A U-City Library event to which Region Members were invited.
- March 26. Our regular spring meeting at the University City Library. Robert Mai presented “Leadership Skills of Lizzie Bennett (and Others)”. Open to the public.
- May 19. Region members attended First Impressions, an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice by the Slightly Askew Theatre Ensemble.
- June 3. Our summer luncheon at Bettye Dew’s house. Elaine Pontious (harp) and Rose Marie Nester (vocals) offered “Music from Jane Austen’s Time,” including selections Austen copied into her own songbooks. Members only.
- June 6. At Oasis, a lifelong learning program for adults ages 50 and over, Region member Sheila Hwang, associate professor of English at Webster University, taught a class on the card game Speculation. JASNA St. Louis members (and other class members) learned to play this game, as well as how Austen used this game in Mansfield Park to reveal the inner workings and motivations of her characters.
- September 22. Our regular fall meeting. Lunch at, and a tour of, the historic Oakland House.
- November 16. Members have been invited to hear Curtis Sittenfeld read and discuss Eligible at Webster University. (If you missed Sittenfeld in February, here’s another opportunity to hear her and meet her.) Information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1338724862922891.
- December 3. Members have been invited to attend the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis’ production of Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley, a play that seeks to answer this question: “Will Mary Bennet find romance and love during a Christmas visit to Pemberley?” Some three dozen Region members plan to attend this production.
- December 9. Our annual Austen birthday luncheon. Info to come shortly. Members only.
2016 Past Events
- March 13. “Highbury and Cranford: Food and Community”. Presented by Sheila Hwang, PhD and Jennifer Frangos, PhD of Webster University. Slideshow comparison presentation about food, settings, and company between Emma’s Highbury and Cranford. Gathering was the Webster University’s Pearson House. Open to the public.
- April 23. “A Facilitated Conversation” led by Bob Mai. Presented at the Buder Library. Opened to the public but reservations were limited.
- June 4. Summer Luncheon at the Gatesworth. JASNA-St. Louis Member presented “Bending Little Minds: Harriet Smith and Henrietta Belfield”. Members only.
- Sept. 17. “Readings from Emma” at the Tavern of Fine Arts. Optional lunch was at 11 A.M. Program was from 1 P.M.–3 P.M. Open to the public.
- Dec. 10. The Annual Birthday Luncheon. JASNA St. Louis Member and Hostess, Bettye Dew presented “A Partial Knowledge of Circumstances” Chapter XIII: Christmas Scenes in Emma. Lunch was from Noon to 3Pm. Members only.
2015 Past Events
- April 26. “The Material World of Jane Austen’s Time”. Presented by Anne Woodhouse, Ph.D., Curator of Domestic Life Missouri History Museum. Slideshow presentation. University City Public Library. Open to the public.
- June 6. Summer Luncheon. “Information Leads to Inspiration” Presented by author Kara Louise. Reservations required. Members only.
- September 26. “Jane Austen’s Portsmouth”. Presented by Toby Benis, Ph.D., Professor, Department of English, Saint Louis University. Slideshow. University Public Library. Open to the public.
- December 12. The Birthday Luncheon at the Gatesworth. Games led by Lynn Fields and Bettye Dew. Reservation required. Members only.
2014 Past Events
- March 29. “Reading Mansfield Park“. Lunch at Tavern of Fine Arts from 11am to 3pm. Open to the public.
- June 7. Summer Luncheon. “What was Fanny Reading?”, Members Explore Fanny’s Reading List. Reservations required. Members only.
- September 27. “Did Jane Austen Prefer a Plain Dish to a Ragout?”. Presenter, Julienne Gehrer, Regional Coordinator, JASNA Kansas City. University City Library. Open to the public.
- December 13. The Birthday Luncheon at the Gatesworth. Reservations required. Members only.
2013 Past Events
- February 24. Sense and Sensibility. Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Virginia Jackson Browning Mainstage Theatre n Webster Groves. Open to the public.
- June 1. Summer Luncheon and Book Review. Presenter Rose Nester. Reservation required. Members only.
- September 14. “Jane Austen, Publisher: Writing herself into money and longing for more”. Presenter: Liz Cooper, Member JASNA Wisconsin Region. University City Library. Open to the public.
- December 14. The Birthday Luncheon at the Gatesworth. Reservations required. Members only.
2012 Past Events
- March 11. “Sense and Sensibility as Austen’s Problem Novel”. Presenter Joan Klingel Ray, Ph.D., Professor of English and President’s Teaching Scholar, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs. Location: University City Library. Open to the public.
- June 2. Summer Luncheon and Book Review. Reservations Required. Members only.
- September 23. “Opposites (Don’t) Attract: Same Sex Desire in Austen’s Novels and Heritage Cinema”. Presenter: Toby Ruth Benis, Ph.D., Professor of English, St. Louis University. Location: University City Public Library. Open to the public.
- December 15. The Birthday Luncheon at the Gatesworth. Reservation required. Members only.